Federal or State Licenses
Municipality of Anchorage Licenses
City of Fairbanks Licenses
City and Borough of Juneau Licenses
Related Links
Scheduled Release Dates
  • These data are updated annually and generally updated by mid May. Refer to the last updated date on the bottom of each license Web page.
Contact Information
  • These data are included on our Web site as a courtesy. We are unable to answer questions about a specific license. Contact the licensing agency if you have specifc questions about a license.

    For all other inquires contact us at 907-465-4500.

Charter Boat Operator (undocumented passenger vessel)

Licensing Authorities:

There are three agencies to contact for this license. They are:

  1. U.S. Coast Guard (USCG)
  2. Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G), Division of Sport Fish-RTS
  3. Alaska Department of Administration, Division of Motor Vehicles (DMV)

U.S. Coast Guard

Commanding Officer
National Maritime Center
Regional Exam Center (REC) Addresses:

U.S. Coast Guard
REC Juneau
9105 Mendenhall Mall Rd. Suite 170
Juneau, AK 99801
phone: (907) 463-2458
fax: (907) 463-2482

U.S. Coast Guard
REC Anchorage
222 W. 7th Ave., Box 55, Rm 156
Anchorage, AK 99513
phone: (907) 271-6736
fax: (907) 271-6742

U.S. Coast Guard
MSD Ketchikan (REC)
1621 Tongass Ave. Suite 202
Ketchikan, AK 99901
phone: (907) 225-4496 EXT #3
fax: (907) 225-4499

Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G), Division of Sport Fish-RTS

333 Raspberry Road
Anchorage, Alaska, 99518-1599
phone: (907) 267-2369/2299
fax: (907) 267-2422

Alaska Department of Administration, Division of Motor Vehicles

License/Exam Fees and Requirements by Agency:

U.S. Coast Guard:

Payment for fees is available via the internet at

License and exam fees:

  • Evaluation fee $100
  • Examination fee $95
  • Issuance fee $45

Licensing Requirements: Please see specific requirements at:

Vessel registration agencies

Alaska Department of Fish and Game, Division of Sport Fish-RTS requirements:

  • Effective Jan 1, 2005, the ADF&G began registering all vessels used in sport fish charter activities. If the sport fish guide vessel is also used for commercial fishing, it must still be licensed with Commercial Fisheries Entry Commission (CFEC).
  • All vessels, powered and non-powered, must have a current AK number issued by the Division of Motor Vehicles or a USCG documentation number unique for their vessel prior to becoming registered with ADF&G.
  • Registration is required for non-powered boats operated by Sport Fishing Guides with clients on board.
  • Other non-powered boats may be registered by DMV if requested by the owner.
  • The only exemption to vessel registration with ADF&G are single person floatation tubes.

More specific information can be found on the Alaska Department of Fish and Game (ADF&G) web site at:

Department of Administration, Division of Motor Vehicles:

License/Registration Fees:

  • Powered boat registration $24
  • Non-Powered boat registration $10 (only required when used for sport fishing guide)

Licensing Requirements:

  • All power vessels, used on any water in Alaska must be registered with State of Alaska, DMV (exceptions include government owned vessels, documented vessels, a seaplane, limited use by vessel from another state). Registration is valid for 3 years. All powered boats (including non-powered boats with auxiliary power units) used on any water of the state. (This includes all rivers, streams, and lakes, regardless of size, and all salt water within 3 miles of land.)
  • Effective February 10, 2005: All sport fishing guides are required to register both powered and non-powered boats.

Other Authorities:

In addition to the previous authorities there are a variety of managing agencies and companies that have additional requirements for any activity that takes place within their jurisdiction and should be checked with individually.

last updated April 2015
The information on this page is updated annually and may have changed during the year. Contact the licensing agency for any changes.