Click for State of Alaska Home Page spacer
   Job Seekers    Workers    Employers    Researchers    Labor Shortcuts
To search our site type search terms in the box and click the find button

State of Alaska > DOLWD > Workers' Compensation  > Self Insurance

Self-Insured Employers - Introduction

Every employer who has employees working in Alaska must purchase and keep in effect a workers’ compensation insurance policy, or become approved as a self-insured employer.

In order to qualify as a self-insured employer in Alaska, a company must

  • Have been in business for at least five years
  • Have at least 100 employees
  • Have a net worth of at least $10,000,000
  • Have a safety/loss program in effect
  • Provide claims services in Alaska either through its own staffed facility, or through independent, licensed, resident adjusters

An employer who meets these conditions may apply for a Certificate of Self-Insurance by completing and submitting an application Form 07-6129. The application must be accompanied by

  • Audited financial statements for the three fiscal or calendar years immediately preceding the filing of the application
  • A copy of the binder or a description of proposed excess insurance including the effective dates, type of coverage, conditions and exclusions, the limits and retentions of each type of coverage, and a guarantee of coverage until the board receives a copy of the policy
  • Statistical information regarding total Alaska payroll, Alaska workers’ compensation losses, and premiums paid for the past three years
  • A copy of or a detailed outline of its safety/loss control program
  • A security deposit in the amount of $600,000 or 125% of the total accrued workers’ compensation liability, whichever is greater. The security deposit must be in the form of a irrevocable letter of credit from a financial institution authorized to conduct business in Alaska

In addition to the above, a company which is a majority or wholly owned subsidiary must provide a written guarantee from its parent company. A joint venture must provide a copy of its operating agreement and audited financial statements for the three fiscal or calendar years immediately preceding the filing of the application for each general partner.

A Certificate of Self-Insurance is valid for a period of one year from the date of issue, and may be renewed on application Form 07-6130.



Quick Links
Workers' Comp Home
Annual Reports
Benefit Calculator
Benefit Guaranty Fund
Electronic Data - EDI
Employer Information
Fishermen’s Fund
Legal Research
Medical Services
Review Committee
Online Employer Coverage Verification Service
Reemployment Benefits
Second Injury Fund
Special Investigations
Workers' Comp and You -
Info for Injured Workers
Workers' Comp Board

Contact Information:
(907) 465-2790
(907) 465-2797

PO Box 115512
Juneau, AK 99811-5512

Toll Free:


   Job Seekers    Workers    Employers     Researchers    Department Shortcuts    Webmaster
Page Updated July 22, 2014