News Release


DATE: January 10, 2000 CONTACT: Sue_Solberg
NO: 00-28 PHONE: (907) 465-2797

Employees May be Eligible for Tax Refunds from State

Employees who had excess taxes deducted from their share of unemployment insurance contributions in 1999 may apply for a refund, Ed Flanagan, Commissioner of the Alaska Department of Labor and Workforce Development, announced today.

"An employee who worked for more than one employer in 1999 may be eligible for a refund if taxes were deducted for more than $132.30 from all employers combined," Flanagan said. "These taxes are usually designated as 'ESC,' 'ESD,' 'UI,' or 'SUI' on the employee's W-2 form."

The Employment Security Division of the Department of Labor and Workforce Development is responsible for collecting taxes for the Unemployment Insurance (UI) program. Unemployment Insurance taxes are collected from both employers and workers in the state to fund the payment of unemployment benefits. Alaska is one of only three states where the employer and the worker share the responsibility for building the reserves from which unemployment benefits are paid. The employee share for 1999 was 0.54 percent of the taxable wage base of $24,500.

To obtain refund forms, contact the Employment Security Tax Office in Juneau at (907) 465-2757, toll free at 1-888-448-3527, or write to the Department of Labor and Workforce Development, Employment Security Tax, P.O. Box 115509, Juneau, AK 99811-5509 or email your form request to

The form can also be downloaded from the Department's web site at

 rainbow colored line for visual effect

 Return to Index