Michael Monagle, Director
The Division of Workers’ Compensation is the agency charged with the administration of the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Act (Act). The Act provides for the payment by employers or their insurance carriers of medical, disability and reemployment benefits to injured workers. The Division is required to administer the Act in a manner that is both fair and efficient to all parties. In addition to its administrative function, the Division also houses the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Board which hears disputes arising between employees and employers or their insurance carriers regarding the payment of benefits under the Act.
Workers’ Compensation is a system which requires your employer to pay your medical costs and part of your lost wages if you are injured on the job. Workers’ Compensation also mandates the payment of benefits to dependents in the case of work related death. For more information e-mail us at firstname.lastname@example.org or click on the following link:
- 2015 Employer Education Workshop Schedule (PDF)
- The scheduled December 19, 2014 meeting of the Workers’ Compensation Medical Services Review Committee (MSRC) has been cancelled. The MSRC will meet next on Thursday and Friday, January 15th and 16th, 2015. For additional information on meeting times and place, see the Public Meeting Notice.
- Notice of Public Meetings. The Medical Services Review Committee (MSRC) will be holding public meetings for the purpose of implementing HB316, adopting workers’ compensation medical fee schedules. Additional information and details can be found at the Online Public Notice System.
- The Division of Workers’ Compensation is pleased to announce the rollout of its Online Benefit Calculator. With this online tool, injured workers, employers, claims adjusters, and other parties can quickly calculate an injured workers’ weekly disability rate for injuries occurring on or after July 1, 2000.
The Adjudications Section is responsible for interpreting the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Act in a fair and impartial manner to ensure the quick, efficient and predictable delivery of medical and indemnity benefits to injured workers at a reasonable cost to employers and insurance carriers.
The Special Investigations Unit was established within the Division of Workers’ Compensation to investigate fraudulent workers’ compensation claims. Workers’ compensation fraud includes any false or misleading acts or statements made for the purpose of obtaining benefits under the Alaska Workers’ Compensation Act. The Special Investigations Unit also investigates uninsured employers who can be fined up to $1,000 per employee work day for each day they remain uninsured.
Workers' Compensation Fraud Hotline - 1-888-372-8330
The Information & Assistance Unit provides information to the public concerning the Workers’ Compensation Act and the claims process.
The Medical Services Review Committee assists the Workers’ Compensation Board and the Department of Labor and Workforce Development concerning medical and services related costs.
The Reemployment Benefits Section administers the provision of reemployment benefits to qualifying injured workers. Injured workers who qualify for these benefits may elect to undergo vocational retraining paid for by the employer.
Special Funds Units:
- Workers' Compensation Benefit Guaranty Fund (Fund) was established in 2005 to provide workers' compensation benefits to workers injured on the job while working for an uninsured employer. A claim may be filed against the Fund following a finding by the Board that the employer is responsible for and fails to pay benefits under the Act.
- Fishermen's Fund provides for treatment and care of Alaska's licensed commercial fishermen who are injured or become ill due to fishing-related activities on shore in Alaska or in Alaska waters.
- Second Injury Fund provides benefits to employers for claimants who have a permanent physical impairment.
Workers’ Compensation Appeals Commission hears appeals from decisions of the Alaska Workers Compensation Board in cases decided by the Board after November 7, 2005.
Workers' Compensation Offices
P.O. Box 115512, Juneau AK 99811-5512
1111 W 8th St, Rm 305, Juneau AK 99801
Tel: (907) 465-2790
Fax: (907) 465-2797
3301 Eagle Street, Suite 304
Anchorage AK 99503
Tel: (907) 269-4980
Fax: (907) 269-4975
675 Seventh Ave, Station K
Fairbanks, AK 99701-4531
Tel: (907) 451-2889
Fax: (907) 451-2928
P.O. Box 111149
Juneau, AK 99811-1149
Tel: (907) 465-2766
Fax: (907) 465-2797
3301 Eagle Street, Suite 301
Anchorage, AK 99503-4149
Tel: (907) 269-4985
Fax: (907) 334-2619
|State Employee Claims
TRISTAR Risk Management
PO Box 240369
Anchorage, AK 99524-0369
Toll Free: 888-544-6268